Me in a nutshell

Ever since I was little, I have been interested in arts and crafts. Growing up, I was always busy crafting, painting, or scrapbooking projects of all sorts. I am pursuing design as a career because of this, I want to be allowed to let my creativity and imagination flow freely. I am inspired by everything around me, both by things tangible and felt. I hope to learn as much as possible about commercial and residential design, and learn to take on whatever challenges I am presented with.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Train Depot Adaptive Re-use














This is by far the biggest project I have taken on so far. I redesigned the interiors of the Pufferbelly Train Depot in Pullman, WA. This adaptive re-use consisted of changing the old Train Depot into a gallery, residence, and studio for Ted Sawyer, a glass artist.
The images above, show the concept model, final presentation boards, and the built model of the train depot. The perspectives that are shown, are a good presentation of the concept that inspired the space which was, twisting through and around, circular and asymmetrical.
This time around, instead of working primarily with 2D drawings of floor plans, I started by using 3D working rough draft models. At first, this was so new to me that I really struggled. After playing around with walls and such a little more, I found that the models gave me the chance to see things from a new perspective. I got many ideas for the ceiling space when playing around with the rough draft models, which was important to consider because the train depot roof provided the space with extra volume. Had I not made rough draft models so early in the design process, I probably would not have explored the concept as extensively.
Having said that, I still do not feel like I explained my ideas very well on the boards. If I could go back on my annotations, I would make it a priority to explain in detail exactly what the ceiling is doing in each space with more clarity.
Some things that were challenging for me, were having to design for a visually impaired client, having to consider three different space types, those being the studio space, the gallery, and a residence. Each one within them has their own specific requirements.
While I am happy with how it turned out,I feel like this redesign, more then any other one that I have worked on, still in my eyes does not seem complete. I look at the final project, and still want to change a million small things. That probably is not something I should admit, but I do wish I could change some things. We did do a preliminary review of our designs, and that did help make a few minor changes, yet I still feel like I could make changes or improvements to my design. Maybe with future projects, I will challenge myself to stop and really critique my work and ask for the opinions of my peers more often.
All that aside, I for the most part, am happy with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment